Friday, October 30, 2015

It Takes A Village...Bedrest

A short update on the past few of 37 weeks 6 days, I am officially on bedrest. 

Wednesday night, we were at my grandparents house for dinner and my feet got swollen really quickly. I didn't think much about it and just blamed it on a 13 hour day. When we got home, Eric checked my blood pressure. It was a little higher than normal, but not concerning, so I went to bed. We continued to monitor it Thursday morning and by 11:00 am it had gone up to 146/90. I gave my doctor a call, thinking they would have me come to the office to get checked. 

About 30 minutes later, they called back and said they wanted me to go to labor and delivery. I was so shocked they said that and quickly realized I wouldn't be coming back to work most likely. I quickly tried to get somethings together and do a few last minute tasks. I was extremely overwhelmed and not thinking straight. 

I left school around noon to head home to change before going to the hospital. The nurse called back and said that Methodist labor and delivery was full and they wanted me to go to UTMB Galveston. Since Eric works for Methodist, we needed to go to Methodist. At this point, we didn't know when a bed would open and thought we might have to go to Methodist in the med center. 

When I got home, I did what any rational pregnant person would do...washed 2 loads of laundry, made Halloween gifts for Madison's teachers and took a shower. Eric got home around 1:30 and we waited to hear back from the doctor. I was able to rest for a little while and then we decided to go to my parents house to get Madison. 

Around 5, the hospital called and said they had a bed ready for me. I called my mom to tell her our plan and she told me Madison was sick. She threw up after school and hadn't been herself. My mom brought Madison to our house and I broke down when they got there. I was overwhelmed and felt terrible that we had to leave Madison when she was sick. 

We didn't end up leaving for the hospital until close to 6:00. We got there, checked in and got into a room around 6:45. They hooked me up to monitor my blood pressure, Caroline's heartbeat and my contractions. When the dr came in, she had me lay on my left side. Shortly after that, my blood pressure significantly went down and averaged 115/60. After more monitoring and blood work, all tests looked good. 

The dr asked about my job and told me that I would be on bedrest until Caroline arrived. Thankfully, that will only be a couple more weeks at the most. 

Today, I am doing much better with the idea that I am not going back to work.  I rested during the day and went to my dr appointment this afternoon. The dr said he would really like me to make it to 39 weeks. I will go back next Friday and he will decide if we should induce or wait until Caroline's ready. At this point, I am hoping to let Caroline decide when she is ready. After going to the dr, I realized how much better I felt when I was laying down vs sitting up and walking. 

Long story short, I will be doing lots of laying and sitting in the upcoming days. We are so thankful to have my parents close by. They took over Madison last night when she was sick, Pops went to her Halloween party today and they will be helping in the afternoons to pick her up from school until Eric gets home from work. 


  1. Take care! Hope your sweet girl feels better, and you get plenty of rest. My mom has been a lifesaver with my girls during this pregnancy, too. Thank God for great mom's!

  2. Take it easy girl! Thank the Lord for great parents and a great husband. Hope Madison feels better soon and the rest of your pregnancy is a breeze. 😊


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...